This is where my thoughts go.....You're reading my mind!

Ads By Google

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Getting Into The Spirit!

When I'm inspired, I pick up the pen.

When I say pen, I don't mean literally. Any device I use to express myself is my pen, so you can call it a sort of symbolism.

It's the first Sunday of Lent today and I've just left the Church. I feel blessed. I've always said I felt blessed before, but those feelings were nothing compared to how I feel today. The Gospel reading was that of the temptation of Jesus during his 40 days of fasting.

The Homily (I'm Catholic) was then based around the idea of "silence". I should probably explain the main ingredients of Lent. During this season, as Christians, talk less of Catholic, we ought to show our Christianity, and to do this, we must mark our journey on Lent through a prayerful reflection on our faith. There are four recipes for lent and they are; repentance, alms giving, self denial and prayer. Repentance is acknowledging that we have all made a slight mess of our lives and instead of running away from our errors, we're going to God and surrendering ourselves to Him, saying "dear Lord, here I am, you know all I have done and all I am about to do. And so, I give myself unto you, letting you know that I've done this, and I am prepared to think again and change. I'm prepared to turn a new leaf. I can't do this with You and so Lord, I give myself to you to accept me as I am, giving me the guidance I need to become a better person."

Alms giving is us giving back to the needy, showing love to the needy and giving them something. One of the most important commandments is to Love; love ourselves and our neighbours. To be able to love, we need to find God in our hearts and to say you're a Christian means knowing God. For this reason, during Lent, we should all endeavour to give something to the needy. The idea of self-denial comes with giving something up for Lent. I recently learnt that giving something up for Lent is not for us to be excited and tell the whole world about it, but to give it up for the greater good. The greater good being that thing you feed your soul with. At the end of the Lenten season, we should all find some sort of spiritual satisfaction with the Lord. And after that, you feed your soul. You give your soul some enduring Love.

Finally, the most crucial recipe for Lent is prayer.

Praying is a form of marking our Lenten journey, a way of showing God that it's all about Him this season. It's all about Him, and you're devoting your all to Him. Our Christian way of life should have a distinction about it and if we all do these things, we'd all find peace and spiritual comfort.

This Lenten season, indulge in SILENCE. Indulge in silence so that you can hear what God is saying to you. You can hear the things you won't usually hear when people are around you. Be silent, take some time for yourself alone, find space and time to indulge in silence. It's all for the greater good.

As we begin our journey of Lent, let us all have this prayer in the back of our minds. Wherever you are, whatever you may be doing at this point, say to yourself, say it within yourself. Say "Father, I place into your hands the things I cannot do. I place them into your hands for I know I can always trust you. And throughout this season, all that I can do, I do for You. I give it all up for You so that I may find a place in your Land."

God bless you and may we find all that we seek during this season.


About the Author
Afrigator