This is where my thoughts go.....You're reading my mind!

Ads By Google

Friday, June 17, 2011

Doo Wop: A Trip From The 50s.

Everyone (well, I think so) knows that my music taste dates back to the days of our ancestors - literally. Okay, I'm joking, just from the 50s to the 80s. I don't quite do well with modern music and I find that a rather amazing trait, if you ask me. I was going through my music playlist, which is always in shuffle mode, earlier today and I came across the song  "Come Back My Love" which I'm guessing was originally written by The Wrens. I started to do the "doo wop" dance. There is probably an official name, but I do not know. Anyway, I played the song over and over again. Like my British peers would say, I "rinsed" the song...
Anyway, I looked into more songs from such bands. It's amazing, really amazing. Oldies music, that is. Some of my favourite singers include Sam Cooke, Nina Simone, Billy Ocean, Teddy Pendergrass, Billy Idol, Smokey Robinson, Diana Ross, Kool and the Gang, etc.
I'd like to share some of my loves with you guys so here goes...

A Change Is Gonna Come - Sam Cooke

This song touches me in so many places... It's amazing that even when a song doesn't have a significant meaning, the melody can move you. It creates thoughts, you know? A kind of peace of mind. You get lost in the voice of the singer and you feel a sense of release, you feel free, you feel like you let go of a curse that troubled your mind. Oh yeah...

When The Going Gets Tough - Billy Ocean

Ooooh, *goes crazy with love*... how can you not love this beautiful man? Oooooh, ooh, can I touch ya, and do the things that lovers do? Oooh, ooh, can I hold ya? 
He makes me happy! So happy. Ah.


Hi De Hi, Hi De Ho - Kool And The Gang



My ring tone... This has to be the grooviest song ever. I love it so much. You should actually see my Kool and the Gang dance, very amazing I tell ya.


Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen

*screams* Freddie Mercury! He was such a diva. The Legends die young, don't they? I think this is the best song ever written. I think everyone's favourite part is "Galileo, Galileo, Galileo Figaro, Magnifico!" and maybe "He's just a poor boy from a poor family, spare him his life from this monstrosity!" ahaha, I just giggled with excitement.

Crazy Little Thing Called Love - Queen
(Sorry, I tried not to add two songs from the same band/singer  but I couldn't help it. If I do, it just means it deserves a listen.)

Oooh, isn't Freddie just a diva? He makes me happy. I'm going to learn to play this on the bass guitar actually. I've done my research and it's very easy. They used the most famous rock and roll bass tabs and I learnt an Elvis Presley song so yeah, pretty easy.

Sh-Boom - The Overtones
This is not the original version, but I happen to be in love with this version. They are a British-Irish group who became popular in 2010. You should check out their other stuff. Pretty amazing. I love it.

Life could be a dream! ;)
Oh, they did a rendition of Come Back My Love too. Best believe I jumped on it like a hungry lion. It's so lovely. I can sing, but if I could sing these songs as good as these boys, then boy...
Check it out:



Lover Boy - Billy Ocean

*shivers* this song... the beat.. it could tear your speakers apart. isn't that amazing?


I'd love to go on but this will get ridiculously long.
Anyway, have a little laugh before you go. If you have an awesome sense of humour, you will laugh. :|

Afrigator