This is where my thoughts go.....You're reading my mind!

Ads By Google

Friday, July 1, 2011

Google+ Launches and then Google Witholds Invites? Come on!



Google's 'Facebook competitor' eventually launched 2 days ago. It's called Google+ and it's basically a social network that let's you control your posts and updates based on a feature called 'Circles'. You add your different group of friends to different circles. They've also got other tools embedded like the 'Huddle' tool let's you collaborate with different people in the different Circles you've created, the 'Hangout' tool let's you open
up a video chat room of some sort where you can do a multi video chat with others interested in the same topic or with your Circles. The Sparks feature brings you content and feed from around the web concerning certain topics you've added[For more info on Google+ please read my post on Technesstivity] .

It seems to be a great tool but how would I know? I haven't even gotten a taste of this yet. As soon as I saw people beginning to acknowledge that they had gotten access to the service and you can get an invite from them by tweeting an hashtag, Google locked down the invite process. Sure there are ways to get around the invite lockdown, but the dude didn't even get to send me an invite. So now I'm stuck in this oblivious blind argument world where I'm telling people 'Guys, this could be a facebook kileer' and they tell me 'Oh!, Have you got an invite?'. It's too awkward!!!

I don't understand why Google with their large size and amount of server farms they have in the world will lockdown this service within the first 24hours of launch. Vic Gundotra, Senior Vice President, Engineering at Google posted this on his Google+ Profile yesterday

"We've shut down invite mechanism for the night. Insane demand. We need to do this carefully, and in a controlled way. Thank you all for your interest!

For any who wish to leave, please remember you can always exit and take your data with you by using Google Takeout.

It's your data, your relationships, your identity.


If you don't have the capacity to take a large user base on your product why did you launch. Considering the fact that Google hit it's 1billion user mark last month, you'll think they would have thought about the user base before they launched Google+. Sadly, they didn't. So Google please allow me use this service, You know how to contact me! :D

Image: Aray Chen, Flickr
Afrigator