This is where my thoughts go.....You're reading my mind!

Ads By Google

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Yes It's The Internet But You Still Have To Spell Right



I'm beginning to see a lot of things on my feeds. Twitter feed, Facebook News Feed and RSS Feeds. Infact, It's everywhere online now.

People are beginning to spell Plural words with apostrophes. I once saw a draft that had 'CEO's' in the title. So this is basically going to be a short singular and plural lesson and a few other stuff in between.


Singular - Plural

Word - Words not word's. Adding an apostrophe before the 's' has changed the meaning of the entire sentence.


It's 'I'm' not 'Am'. It's also they're referring to a group of people and not their or there referring to posession or position.

To be honest, I can't stand people who can't spell right. One reason is because I don't know how you can spend so much of your life in school and not be able to spell certain words or use them properly.

A while ago, I had a classmate who couldn't spell. To be frank, she also couldn't make gramatically correct sentences. It disgusted me so I corrected her publicly on twitter a lot of times.

One day, she actually left a class she was in, walked up to the first floor and told me never to gbagaun her again. I laughed my arse off that day. A few weeks later, I had to unfollow. I was beginning to make the same spelling mistakes.

"It's all about communication. As long as you understand the message I'm trying to pass across"

So I corrected my friend a few days ago and she subliminally posted this(subliminals are stupid by the way). I didn't even bother replying. All I know is if it's all about 'communication', why do you do spellchecks before you submit your essay to your lecturer?

Why don't you confront your professor and explain that your 4,500 word essay doesn't need to be gramatically correct for it to make sense? Why have your parents spent so much on your 'education'?

I thought it was only my age mates

Initially, I thought the spelling mistakes were only within people of my age. Then I saw a tweet from an MSc holder and I went "Oh My God". Such waste of fees.

Is it cool not to spell right?

There's a very high possibility that people think it's cool not to spell right. I spend a lot of time online and I practically watch trends as they shape up. Things like these start with one person with a lot of social media influence and it spirals out of control.

An example is the number of people who have '*Insert name here*'s hoe* in their bios at present. If you go back a while to August or September 2011, you'll notice that not many people were calling themselves hoes in their bio.
You can't begin to blame the internet for this. People have taken decisions based on other people's 'coolness' for centuries. Maybe it's human.

So I'll add the Intro on Lupe Fiasco's 'The Cool' Album.

"They thought it was cool to burn crosses on your front lawn as they hung you from trees in your backyard 
They thought it was cool to leave you thirsty and stranded, Katrina! 
He thought it was cool to carry a gun in his classroom and open fire, Virginia Tech, Columbine Stop the violence! 
They thought it was cool to tare down the projects and put up million dollar condos, Gentrification 
They think it's cool to stand on the block hiding product in their socks to make quick dime bag dollars 
They think it's cool to ride down on you in blue and white unmarked cars busting you upside your head Freeze... 
'Cause the problem is we think it's cool too Check your ingredients before you overdose, on The Cool.."


Of course, you're allowed to make mistakes

We spell 'You Are' as 'You're' not 'Your'.

'You're a good friend' obviously has a different meaning from 'Your a good friend'.

Of course, you're allowed to make mistakes. No one is perfect. I typed 'written' as 'reaten' yesterday morning. We thank God for Chrome's dictionary. The key is not to do things because you see other people doing them. Just think for a second before hitting that 'tweet' button.

Checkout 'After The Deadline' for Firefox and Chrome to help with grammar and spelling or you can just head to your nearest bookshop and buy Brighter Grammar. You also need to read more to improve your vocabulary. People think I'm lying when I say I used to read the dictionary when I was 2. My dad had this huge Cambridge Dictionary. I think the cover was maroon.

If you're really, really bad, You can get a teacher. My JS2 English teacher really helped my spelling and punctuation. Any missspelling or forgotten punctuation attracted a mark of -1. It made us very careful. I still feel weird when I type the pronoun 'I' as 'i' in SMSes.

Image: Someecards.

If you see any spelling mistakes in this post, just assume they're on purpose okay? :P
Afrigator