This is where my thoughts go.....You're reading my mind!

Ads By Google

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Journal 12. Freewill and Halloween


31st October 2012
1.33PM

I'm so tired of the ignorant spewage on Twitter. It's like a daily thing now. So here's what I've learnt from Twitter today.

Nigerians shouldn't celebrate Halloween because it is not in our culture. When I asked if Christmas and Sallah were in our culture, I was told Christmas and Sallah are religions and David Livingstone didn't bring halloween to Africa. Yes guys, Christmas is a religion.


Now if you looove the culture so damn much and you don't think people should embrace western cultures, please do not wear a suit for your internship interview. Wear a Dansiki made out of Aso Oke and enter a danfo in the heat and tell your interviewers that suits aren't in our culture and therefore they shouldn't be worn.

Freewill

The idea of freewill is that anybody can do whatever they so please as long as it doesn't infringe on someone else's fundamental rights. Why can you let people celebrate what they want? Is it your fake blood on their faces? Are they asking you to pay for their parties and costumes?

What is always worrying you people? Why can't you think straight and then argue with facts?

Personally, I don't support halloween. I don't think there's anything fun to be dressing like Esu and be collecting sweets. But that's me. That's how I've been brought up. It doesn't mean I should go ahead and attack people who celebrate Halloween for the fun of it.

The world is becoming more and more polarised everyday and it'll be nice if we just let people who have different views from us be free. Again, as long as those views don't infringe on our fundamental human rights.

What I Read Today


Now Amazon Can Easily Win The $100 Billion Local Commerce Market And The $150 Billion Smartphone Market - Forbes

What does talent look like in an age of Flux? - FastCompany/Branch

Microsoft Surface: First Impressions and Shattered Misconceptions - Forbes


The Way I Work: Aaron Levie, Box - Inc  I was so surprised to read that he's 27 years old.

What VCs Really Care About - Inc

Start-ups On Technology – To A Man With A Hammer, Everything Is A Nail - Celestine Okoye, Otekbits  I think it's cool that Celestine is sharing is experience. It's even cooler that you can easily that he's writing based on stuff he read 2/3 years ago. He's not just saying "PHP is the Best. FTW!"

The Nigerian Budget (A Review by yourbudgit.com) | GAPS Academy  I couldn't finish the whole budget on Budgit's website the other day. I was getting angry.

Image: Someecards




Afrigator