This is where my thoughts go.....You're reading my mind!

Ads By Google

Saturday, October 13, 2012

Journal Entry 4 - "Africa's *Insert American Name here*"





Friday 12th October
21:20

So I was at #TedXVictoriaIsland today and one of the first speakers was Segun Akin-Olugbade. Mr. Akin-Olugbade is building a high-performance sports car in his garage. Why? Because he can. He said he wants to encourage Nigerians to build things in Nigeria.

Now it wasn't up to 2 minutes that he had spoken and he was already being called Africa's Elon Musk. This is where I have a problem with people.


1. Elon Musk is building energy efficient cars at Tesla
2. Elon Musk wants to make space travel possible for tourists
3. This guy in no way loooks like Elon Musk

I've noticed over the last few years,(especially in the Nigerian tech industry) that there is this need people have to quickly label a Nigerian(sometimes African) company an "Africa's *Insert Successful American company here*".

Now, while I agree that a lot of these companies seem like clones of business ideas of American and European companies, we actually never ask the founders what they were thinking,

What if the IrokoTV idea just popped in Jason's head? Maybe he wasn't even thinking about Netflix.

I was reading an interview with Mxit CEO Alan Knott-Craig and he said when he started up, he used to wear hoodies a lot. Then they started calling him "Africa's Mark Zuckerberg". So he stopped wearing hoodies.

Funny thing is, I used to wear hoodies around 06. A few months before Facebook opened up to the world. Before I even knew about it. I used to work at this advertising agency in Yaba and the air condition killed me daily. So I wore hoodies to work.

Sorry A person running a website with 100,000 users in 3 years is not and cannot be Africa's Mark Zuckerberg. Let's not be washing people. No more digital high-fives we've said.

1. Saya Mobile isn't whatsapp for feature phones. Saya Mobile is Saya Mobile for feature phones. And they have 2go to battle with

2. IrokoTV isn't Africa's Netflix. Jason has said countless times that IrokoTV makes almost no money from the continent of Africa. IrokoTV doesn't stream TV shows. Netflix does. Yeah, I made this mistake too.

3. There will be no iTunes of Africa. Forget it. People don't want to pay for stuff they can find on Hulkshare.



23:22.

Why don't we let these people be companies for Lagos first? Then Nigeria, then we can now talk about Africa.

Ever heard of an American Wole Soyinka? 

Think.

Here's a video from the Animation company at TedX. They're called sporedust media and I had typed this all up before I saw this. Ugh



Stuff I read today



Afrigator